Sunday, November 28, 2010

Catching up.......

Hello again, blog! I hope all 2 of my readers had a very nice Thanksgiving!

We had a rather different one than usual, but fun nevertheless. Not all of the family could be there, so there was only 5 of us, but we still made it special and had a great time. God is so very good and I thank Him for all His blessings!!!!

It's a cold, damp day here in the Northwest. The cold almost seems worse than what we had last week. It has to be the awful dampness that just seeps into your very bones.
Just think, we had no idea what was ahead of us last week at this time! Even the weather forcasts did little to warn us about the severity of the approaching storm. I think it took everybody by surprise! This cold front was really expected to make its way south, then stay there. Instead it stalled over the Seattle & surrounding areas, and dumped snow, record low temps and horrific winds on us!

It was not fun at all to be without power for over 3 days! I thought it would never end. The worst of it, was we weren't really prepared for this and because of it, it made it even more hard to take. We hadn't done any major grocery shopping before the storm hit ( only the ingredients for Thanksgiving) and had only a handful of candles to burn. Still, we got by and lived on canned soup, bread, cheese and doughnuts. Not a very healthy way to eat, but it kept us going!

I think the worse part was the awful boredom, especially in the evenings. Afterall, it gets dark about 4.....and then you have 6 hours or so to kill before bed! No computer......waahh!!!! :-( To be honest, I never really missed it that much. Only not being able to update my status about the storm ( or perhaps harvest my white lilies on Farmville. ....haha! ) but other than that....I rather liked the break from technology.

And so we read a lot by kerosene light. I found the Smithsonian magazine fascinating during the power outage.......

The not-so-fun part was waking up every couple hours or so to stoke the wood stove. Every time I heard my cell phone alarm go off, I felt very negative. But, it had to be done, or the alternative would be to freeze to death. Mom & I took turns, and we both felt very sleep deprived in the following days.

Very stupidly, we don't have a thermometer, so we never actually saw how low the temps were. Gram saw 12 on hers, but often it's colder here since we live lower & near the water. I would imagine it was probably about 9 here on the coldest night.

********************************


I made a turkey stew with dumplings today. Actually, mom and I combined efforts. It turned out to be really good and tasty. Got the recipe from the Food Network magazine.

There's more I could write, ( especially about the break-in of my car ) but I'm tired, and I think I'll have another bowl of turkey stew.......

1 comment: